San Jose is an exciting, diverse city in Northern California with great weather, situated at the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. In fact, San Jose has 300-plus days of sunshine per year and an average high temp of a comfortable 73 degrees. It also boasts the best public safety record of any metropolitan area in the United States, so it’s a great place to raise a family or retire.
In addition to being a city hub for shopping, sporting events, fine dining, and all kinds of entertainment, San Jose is surrounded on three sides by mountains, so it offers ample activities in nature. Here are a few of the highlights that San Jose offers:
* Many parks, such as the Almaden Quicksilver County park (with former mercury mines); the Alum Rock park (one of the oldest municipal parks in the country); the Japanese Friendship Garden; and the Rosicrucian Park (with Egyptian and Moorish architecture, rose gardens, fountains, a planetarium, “Peace Garden,” and research library). Feeling rosey? Don’t miss the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden, more than 5 acres of more than 4,000 rose bushes.
* Have a picnic or walk through the rare-fruit orchard at the the Emma Prusch Farm Park.
* Swing by the Happy Hollow Park and Zoo, an amusement park for kids.
* Bring your kids to the Raging Waters water park (the largest in Northern California) or the Children’s Discovery Museum. If they like trains, they are sure to enjoy the San Jose Steam Railroad Museum.
* Learn about different cultures at the Portuguese Historical Museum, the Mexican Heritage Plaza, or the Chinese Cultural Garden.
* Enjoy an outdoor concert at the quaint Plaza de Cesar Chavez.
* Score unique merchandise at the San Jose Flea Market.
* Hike the city’s 53-plus miles of trails, such as Coyote Creek, Los Gatos Creek Trail, Silver Creek Trail.
* View the largest Beethoven collection outside Europe at the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies.
* Make sure you visit the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, the biggest public library in the country, west of the Mississippi River.
* Take part the annual Jazz Festival.
* Watch a show in the city’s oldest theater, the San Jose Improv.
* If you’re an art lover, check out the San Jose Museum of Art.
* Watch the San Jose Sharks and the San Jose SaberCats play at the HP Pavilion. You can watch the Giants play at the municipal stadium.