Indianapolis is the ideal blend of big city conveniences with a small town atmosphere. There is no lack of entertainment and adventure here. Downtown alone boasts more than 400 shops and restaurants, museums, parks, theaters, and landmarks. It’s no wonder Indianapolis is home to many award-winning attractions and is a popular vacation destination.
Here are a few of the many ways that Indianapolis will win your heart:
* Check out the Monument Circle and the 24-acre Indiana War Memorial Plaza, with green space and historical monuments. Indiana has more acres devoted to honoring veterans than any other city in the United States, and is second only to Washington, D.C., for the number of war memorials.
* In addition to its reputation for fast cars, Indianapolis also has a strong bicycle and pedestrian emphasis in downtown.
* Love parks -- and art? Visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s 100-acre contemporary art park, the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art and Nature Park, the largest art park in the country.
* The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis has its own ranking, as the largest (and according to Child Magazine, the best) children’s museum in the world.
* The Conner Prairie Interactive History Park offers a first-hand re-enacted experience of the historic William Conner House. Actors in costume recreate 19th Century Indiana, earning the park the 2012 Award of Merit from the American Association for State and Local History. Conner Prairie park has been called one of the top five museums in the nation, and has boasts the extremely prestigious 2012 National Medal of Museum and Library Service.
* Watch a larger-than-life film on a six-story screen at the IMAX Theater, in both 2D and 3D.
* White River State Park is the country’s only “cultural urban state park,” blending green space and cultural attractions. Here you can find a zoo, gardens, museum, theater, and an outdoor concert venue, to just name a few of the many features.
* Fountain Square is a funky neighborhood bursting with vintage and antique shops, diverse restaurants, a strong arts scene, and live music and shows.
* Indianapolis has some of the most incredible food you can find, with a strong emphasis on farm-to-table food and partnerships with local farmers.
* Sports fans likely already know that Indianapolis is home to three pro-sports venues.